The Shadowboxer VRT is not just for "super-charing your punches" as one customer put it. There are a variety of exercises that you can use it for. So here's an exercise for not only strengthening your core but it also tones up that common problem area...your obliques AKA 'love handles'. If you're interested in combat, strong punching power comes from a powerful hip rotation so having good abs and obliques is essential.
- Stand with your feet shoulder width apart and your knees slightly bent
- Attach the Shadowboxer VRT just above the knees allowing for some space between the legs. Ensure the velcro is firmly in place you can test this by trying to pull your knees apart. The velcro shouldn't budge.
- Place you hands at chest level so there is a right angle between your forearm and upper arm...this is your starting position
- Now twist to the left and forcefully swing your arms in a circular motion, maintaining the distance between your chest and hands
- Return to the starting position and repeat on the other side
- Repeat 3 sets of 8-10 reps
- Don't let the hip rotate forward. Try and maintain a neutral tilt in the hip or even slightly up turned if you can. The buttocks will be held firm if you do this correctly.
- Hold a firm stomach as this will engage the abdominal muscles. Tilting the hip as above will help with this also.